4-H Alberta Steer Carcass Competition Guidelines
Deadline Dec 15
Goal: The goal of this competition is to find the carcass that provides the highest quality beef for a restaurant.
Requirements: A 4-H member in good standing, located and registered in the Province of Alberta. All Policy 6.05 Rules and Regulations must be followed, in addition to the following:
- Carcass Steers must be weighed in, tagged with 4-H and CCIA Tag, and registered with your club by December 5, 2017.
- Completed online program registration (including required animal information and $75 registration fee) and 3 photos (front, left side, right side) submitted to email@example.com by December 15th, 2017.
- Harvest Sites will be provided to participants by January 15, 2018 and will be selected by the 4-H Alberta Steer Carcass Committee based on location of the steers entered.
- The animal must be “Tie Broke” for live evaluation.
- Members must agree to deliver the animal to one of the Abattoir’s selected by the 4-H Alberta Steer Carcass Committee on the date specified. Harvest delivery time is approximately May 15, 2018, depending on final scheduling with processing facilities to minimize conflict with achievement days
- Members must provide a final picture of member and animal on day of delivery to the Abattoir
- Provide a PowerPoint presentation about their project, deadline will be communicated in conjunction with carcass viewing at the harvest locations
- For regions, districts and local Achievement Day Sale committees that allow replacement of animals, the following applies. Local level rules must be adhered to.
- If the entry into the 4-H Alberta Steer Carcass Competition is a companion animal to a Market Steer Live Project and is used to replace that project; the entry is cancelled and fee is forfeited. If the Market Steer Live is deemed to be unruly, the member may switch with the 4-H Alberta Steer Carcass entry until February 15, 2018, provided both steers are registered as a 4-H project by December 1st, 2017. Members may only switch once and the member will be required to provide proof from their Show and Sale Committee to firstname.lastname@example.org within 1 week of the approved switch.
For more information contact:
Photos by 4-H Alberta. Summer Synergy 2016 in Olds, Alberta